Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Scratch Film


Throughout making this short clip, I have encountered a lot of problems and a lot of points in which I have stopped and thought I have no idea where I am going from here.
The initial scratching of film was in part a bit of a disaster as I went for a carefree approach without considering sizes of each slide or similarities in pattern in order to ensure a flow between each frame.
Once I realised that I needed to size them up I worked out that I would be stretching it if I wanted to make a short film out of such a small amount of slides.
I just went with it and decided to keep on scratching, I then considered colour with dyes, but after visiting a website I saw that coloured felt tip markers could work really well. So that is what I did.
I decided to work with bright and vibrant colours as Len Lye has done in his own work. I also wanted to create a hypnotic type of experience for the viewer and I believe it makes the clip more engaging. I also see it as an interesting form of remediating the film as it introduces colour into negatives.
I got the idea that I should have some sort of narrative through my series, so I created a little character with a top hat and cane and started to think of ways to put him into the storyline.
I also set myself the challenge of trying to use all of the film from my first shoot within the movie. There were apparent similarities between my images that came out good which were that they were all some form of setting. I wanted my little scratch character to roam around these settings after emerging from the different patterns.
In terms of sound I considered scratching noises, drum beats or a catchy song.
I feel that through going through the process of taking the photo to cross processing the film to scratching in a narrative to introducing colour through felt tip markers to then taking photos on a lightbox and then putting that into song vegas and finally making it into a movie clip that I have completely remediated the film into something completely different.
I have also decided to make a dvd out of it so that it is clear that it has gone through this process from being film to being a short dvd

No comments:

Post a Comment